Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Guest Post: Headphones

Editing to add: TBA is my friend Tyler who is married to the darling Jeni. They are currently living in Germany until they decide to wander back into my neck of the woods. Every so often there is a burning issue he feels needs to be discussed. Today, it's headphones. Please humor Tyler (and me) by commenting. Thank you!

Hi all - its TBA again.

In the world of Ipods (and yes, the Microsoft Zune), headphones have become very important. The standard ones that came with my Zune when I first bought it were awful – very uncomfortable. So I spent a little extra $ to buy some premium headphones – the little bud kind that fit in your ear. They are very comfortable but I am still having major problems:
  1. My headphones ALWAYS get tangled up. Sometimes I have to sit there for 5 minutes trying to get them untangled. I try my best to wrap the cord around my device when I am done, but somehow it seems to get tangled up again. What am I doing wrong here??? Are my ‘premium’ headphones not so ‘premium’?
  2. The ear buds are nice but they don’t stay in when I am exercising. I wonder if my ear buds are too small, maybe they should fit tighter in my ear. Or should I just get the standard headphones to wear while exercising.
  3. Sometimes I wonder if I should listen to music/podcasts at all while I am exercising or riding my bike to work. Maybe I should go for more quiet time. (Yes, I ride my bike to work…it takes me 5 minutes. I can barely get through one song if I am lucky. )

Does anyone else have headphone problems or is it just me?

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I always have that problem. I've seen friends with a plastic circle that winds theirs up for them. No mess, no tangle. It came with their ear phones but I don't remember what brand or anything.

Jeanelle said...

Tyler, thank you for bring up such an important issue! I hated the iPod ones so I bought the Bose fancy ear buds and they came with a nice case which prevents the tangling problem. I love them except for two reasons: 1. they have these little plastic thingys on the part that goes into your ear that fall off and I'm scared I will lose them. 2. I hate exercising with them too -- too much movement in my ear. I use an old pair with foam covers and ear clips to exercise. They stay put and are much more comfortable. The cord tangling thing is always an issue though. I think Jamie's plastic circle suggestion is a good one. Oh and I would listen on the 5 min bike ride too. Who needs 5 minutes of quiet time, seriously.

Callie said...

That is why you wear a sweat band low over your ears so your ear buds can jumble around a little bit but won't fall out. :) I even have a personalized sweat head band with my initials and favorite number.

Jen said...

Great idea on the personalized sweat band. I want one with TBA on it :)

Jen said...

Last comment was from Tyler btw (TBA).

gab said...

Mine always fall out and my cords are always tangled. But it distracts me for a short time and takes my mind off the 42.3 minutes I have yet to endure on the treadmill!