Today's how-to Tuesday (see Stie's blog for more good advice) will teach you how to go about meeting a blogger you've admired from afar...anyone can do it, really.
Step 1.
Leave your house and go somewhere away from where you actually live. (I went to the eastern side of my state this weekend for a dear friend's surprise birthday party.)
Step 2.
Think about who you know in the blogosphere who might live near where you're traveling. (I thought of Jessica, a blogger whom I adore....you know her right? She's that beautiful girl with the darling and hilarious kids and the super sweet and very tidy husband. Of course you know who I'm talking about.)
Step 3.
Send said blogger an email asking if she'd happen to be around during the narrow little window of time when you'll be in her town. (Seriously, I gave her like a 24 hour period of availability.)
Step 4.
Cheer loudly when you read the email she writes back saying she'd love to meet and would I like to come have lunch at her house with the aforementioned kids and husband. (Seriously, have you SEEN the barf training video? How could you not want to meet the kids and husband after that little cinematic treat?!?)
Step 5.
Leave your house, drive east for a few hours, check into a so-so hotel, go to a fun party, return to the hotel, sleep, wake up, have a fun breakfast and more visiting time with the birthday girl you just celebrated the night before, then drive 30 more minutes to the home of the beloved blogger.
Step 6.
Panic a little when you get about a block away from the blogger's house. Say to yourself "why did I think she'd ever want to meet me? Is it too late to back out? I'm a total dork. What if she hates me and we have nothing to talk about?"
Step 7.
Tell yourself to snap out of it, park the car, knock on the door, loving and smiling at the sound of the five adorable children running around inside.
Step 8.
Hug the blogger. Go inside. Start talking and then try not to act so surprised when she mentions things about you that she remembers from reading your blog. (Seriously. Actual people read my blog!)
Step 9.
Eat a delicious meal (still waiting for that recipe, missy) enjoy the darling family, talk like you've been friends forever. Try not to wish out loud that we could be in the same ward.
Step 10.
Take pictures. Hug. Say goodbye.
It's seems totally easy now that I've laid out the steps for you, right?
Dear Jessica, Ryan, Emma, Gabe, Jane, Seth and Faith -- I loved meeting you this weekend. Thank you for making me feel so welcome in your home. Can't wait to see you again sometime!
Dear Jessica, Ryan, Emma, Gabe, Jane, Seth and Faith -- I loved meeting you this weekend. Thank you for making me feel so welcome in your home. Can't wait to see you again sometime!

10 comments:
What?! A whole post for me?! And you didn't even mention having the spicy honey chicken smell on your clothes?! Seriously. Thanks for coming. It was lovely.
You are so brave! Good for you.
I was smiling the whole time I read this post! You are fun!
You are awesome! That is a super fun idea.
Yes! There are a few I'd like to meet, too. Thanks!
It's a surreal experience meeting an internet friend in real life for the first time. You tell people, "I met her online" and it sounds like the beginning of a bad Lifetime movie. But then you get over the nerves and find out how awesome the person is in real life! I love Jessica. I would sell my soul to Satan himself to have her in my ward here. She is amazing.
As are you. When is it our turn?
I love Jessica so much...and I have never met her in real life, either. I LOVE that you contacted her and went to go see her. You are awesome, my dear!
Sheryl's right, you are fun. I wish I were more like this. I get so nervous about things like this being awkward, yet whenever I'm in one of these situation, I'm always so happy I did.
Hey we're coming to Seattle in a couple weeks. We plan to come visit our old stomping grounds. I'll keep you posted.
Wow, I'm still just trying to get used to butting in on other people's blogs I don't even know (I kind of just invited myself to the whole how-to-tuesday thing when I saw it on a friend's blog). I need to branch out.
And I'll be moving to Fort Lewis in 9 months or so. I think there are a lot of how-to-tuesday-ers in that area. I wonder if I'd ever have the guts to go meet any of them? Great post.
so fun!!! thanks for the tips!
Post a Comment