Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fulfillment

This is a personal and self-indulgent blog entry. Proceed at your own risk.

I had the great opportunity last night to listen to Sister Julie Beck, the General Relief Society President, speak to a packed chapel and gym full of Relief Society sisters. Prior to her talk, we were counseled (through a letter from the First Presidency) to not publish our notes from meetings with church leaders so I will only share my feelings and impressions because I am a rule follower!

I, like a lot of people, don't have the ideal life that I planned for myself as a teenager but Heavenly Father didn't promise us the "dream. " He promised us experiences. My experience here on earth isn't necessarily what I would have chosen for myself but it really isn't bad being me. I have a lovely, wonderful life and I'm surrounded by equally lovely and wonderful people who support and love me. Some people might think I'm missing out because I don't have the ideal but I received a powerful witness last night about my role as a single woman on this earth at this time. It confirmed to me something I know (most of the time) that I'm not missing out on anything at all.

My responsibilities as a single sister are great. I'm to take care of wives and mothers who are weary because I have the energy and strength to do so. I'm to take care of the poor, the needy, to do missionary work, to work in the temple. Sister Beck also mentioned that many of the single sisters are technologically savvy and I laughed at that part because, hello, I am the gadget queen!

I talked to two friends today at church who also attended the meeting last night and they both said to me "weren't you overwhelmed by what you're supposed to do as a single sister in the church?" And honestly, I'm not. Not even a tiny little bit. My life has always been filled with purpose and direction and last night was just a sweet confirmation that I'm living the kind of life my Heavenly Father wants me to live. Of course, I need to do more (don't we all!) but I only feel peace and contentment as the messages from last night mill about in my head. I'm fulfilled by my role as a single sister. I'm grateful that I finally have some kind of explanation as to why I am the way that I am.

It's okay for me to still want the ideal, to hope for a husband who is a faithful Priesthood holder and a family to call my own. But you know what? I'm going to continue doing what I already do which is to acknowledge the sad and the hurt when it comes and move forward. I'm going to magnify the gifts I've been given instead of wishing for things I don't have. I'm also going to enjoy the experiences as they come my way (please say you'll remind me of that when life gets crummy??)

And now, I've gotta go make a carrot cake for my friend with lung cancer. And yes, I planned to do that BEFORE last night!

7 comments:

ammunk said...

Jeanelle, I don't think I have told you before, but I think you are amazing! You have always been a wonderful example to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

marciw60 said...

I don't know you that well, even though I feel like I do because you are sooo good to my sister, but I love your blog! You are so genuine! I love reading your insights and learning from them! Thanks for sharing! You are a very special lady!! Oh, and thanks again for being so good to my sister and also to my cute little nieces!!! I wish I had been there to hear what Sister Beck had to say! Thanks Jeanelle for letting me look in on your doings!

Anonymous said...

Jeanelle! I havent' replied to your sweet email yet but I was going to say-- please write about your feelings and sense of fulfillment!

Your post made my day. I think you are fantastic! xoxo, m

Bridget said...

You have a great attitude, love that.I have a single sister and sister-in-law. It does seem so hard to be sngle in this church but like you said you have lots of responsibilities and you can choose to be happy. Good for you!

D-dawg said...

Very good words that can apply to all of us in our different struggles. You are a strong girl- I can tell from reading your posts. And you're a good example. Thanks for sharing what you learned. And so sorry about the fall!! Hope your back is ok!

Jen said...

i love you, i love you, i love you. and the reason i do is because you are just you!!! can't wait to give you a hug...2 years is too long!!!
oxoxoxo

Jill said...

That was beautiful. You are beautiful. Thank you for your amazing fortitude and example. You're just plain amazing!!