As most of you know, my expectations were low going into camp. I struggled with the planning process because the 2nd YCLs I was working with weren't really into working. I felt like a failure as a leader because nothing I did or said would excite these girls into stepping up. On Friday, my friend Kim put the girls and me on the prayer roll at the temple and then on Sunday, I fasted for strength, inspiration and love. I also asked anyone who would listen to pray for me to have patience and to stay positive. My home teachers came over last Sunday afternoon and the one who is the grand poobah (stake pres) said he didn't worry even a second about the 120+ girls going to camp because there were leaders like me who were prepared physically and spiritually to lead them. Right then, I knew I was ready.
Here's my assistant Tammy and me after her husband patiently and kindly fit all of our crap into her van. Seriously, he is a packing god.
Despite not wanting to work prior to camp, they showed up Monday ready to get busy. They were exactly where they needed to be. They did whatever was needed with a cheerful attitude. It really was amazing. It was such a smooth day one.
Despite not wanting to work prior to camp, they showed up Monday ready to get busy. They were exactly where they needed to be. They did whatever was needed with a cheerful attitude. It really was amazing. It was such a smooth day one.
Such cute shirts. Everyone looks good in lime green.The YW arrived on Tuesday and we were ready. It was so wonderful to see the girls in my level band together even though they are all completely different and most of them aren't even friends outside of camp. On Sunday night, I had received word that a young woman from my ward would be coming to camp. She hadn't been to a single meeting but I knew she was creative and talented in both music and acting. I was thrilled she was coming because of her talents but mostly because I knew she needed to be there. She was literally an answer to prayer. She didn't just write the skits and roll calls (little songs the girls sing to announce they are at camp at flag ceremony twice a day) but she got all of the girls together and got all of them to contribute. It was really incredible to watch them all sitting together, creating. The most incredible thing is that I hardly ever had to remind them to do it. Here's a video of one of my favorites -- have you seen the Potter's Puppet Pals video on youtube? It's like that but with the YW values instead of "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape."
Everything went great and continued to until about Wednesday. Nothing terrible happened but Wednesday was just weird. We had some visitors who brought a different sort of spirit to camp and that caused some negativity in one of my girls. Thankfully, that mostly passed on Thursday. I even got an apology from one of the girls who was pretty negative earlier in the year which was a bit of a surprise but so wonderful to hear.
Friday we had a fantastic Bishop's Night program with the Bishops and Stake Presidency members performing Olympic events (volleyball, bobsled, rhythmic gymnastics!) and then we had our testimony meeting (done in individual wards.) We had a smaller group this year and 2/3 of them got up and said they didn't want to come to camp. But every single one of them said they were so glad they did. Phew. One of my girls said she hadn't realized what kind of influence she had as a youth camp leader and that made me so happy to hear...she got it!
One of my favorite things about camp is developing friendships with other women from my stake. We laughed so much all week which was so therapeutic and wonderful I love the women I served with so much and I hope we make more of an effort to stay close throughout the year.
I know I've said all year that this is my last year but I knew I wasn't done when we drove into camp. I kept looking at the 5th and 4th level girls all week and thinking "I need to do this for two more years." I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to do that but right now, I'm planning to go back next year. One of my friends, who also had a hard year and a hard group of 12 year olds had gone into the week thinking she was done but on Friday night, we stood together and cried and admitted we weren't done yet. She compared camp to childbirth (she's the mother of 4.) She said "when you're pregnant, you can't imagine giving birth again but once you deliver, you can't imagine NOT giving birth again."
So who's planning my baby shower?
So who's planning my baby shower?
7 comments:
I always loved going to camp as a YW. I never realized how much went in to it until I was a leader. I'm sure the girls loved every second of it! And I'm glad you survived!
oh, i miss girls camp. The shirts are so cute and I'm glad everything pulled together...of course with you in charge I knew it would be just fine (well, more than fine, fabulous)! I love those glasses/mask thing you are wearing too!
Pick me pick me!!! I want to throw the baby shower.
It sounded like you had lots and lots of good times. I wish I could still go (and bring Andrew, which is why I don't go anymore... :D). I might try to call you when I am on layover in Texas tomorrow. It will probably be in the morning for you. Maybe around 10:30 or so. Love you!
Yeah! I'm so glad it went well. That van was seriously packed to the limit, holy cow! And yes, I have seen the Harry Potter youtube clip. My kids sing that little chant all the time. It's very catchy.
Oh and the glasses are fab.
Hooray! I'm so glad it went so well.
Oh Yay! I'm so happy for you and the girls that all went well. I hope you have a relaxing rest of the summer :)
Jeanelle, I never doubt that you can pull off anything! You are an amazing lady and that's one of the reasons we all love you so much! Those are super lucky girls that you're going to go back to camp! They need you! Sheesh...we all do!
Post a Comment