Sunday, March 1, 2009

So glad it's March!

This was probably the hardest month I've ever had. I'm so glad it's over and I can start fresh in March with no funerals. Please. Thank you to all of you who commented here, emailed, brought me warm cookies and sat with me as I dealt with stuff, and on and on. I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.

I flew to Arizona on February 18th and came home on the 24th. It was my first time visiting there and I loved the 80 degree weather we had all week. I think I'll be a snowbird when I grow up. My sister and I stayed with my brother and his family at their beautiful home in Chandler. My sisters and mom arrived over the next few days. My dad had eight daughters (one died as a child) and one son. Here's a so-so picture of the siblings -- I hope someone else got a better one.


Planning a funeral with seven siblings was challenging at times but it was nice to be able to sit back and let others take over. Dad's bishop conducted the funeral and was wonderful. All but one sibling got up and shared memories of dad. (I talked about how service oriented he was.) The Relief Society put on a nice lunch after the services: tater tot casserole, funeral potatoes, 50 jillion cakes. Real LDS comfort food. ;)

Speaking of food, I learned a great lesson during this experience and I will share it here. If someone you know has a death in their family and they are hosting lots of visitors, please, please, please send food. Easy stuff like Costco muffins, bags of chips, soda, etc. will always be welcome and do not feel one bit bad about not making something. The family will be so busy with details that there isn't always time to run to the store. My brother & sister-in-law's friends and neighbors were so kind and generous. We had almost entire meals brought in that were able to feed the roughly 45 people who were in town at some point over the weekend. We took this big group shot at a nearby park.

It was an emotional weekend but I felt a lot of closure after the funeral was over. I loved my dad and he loved me. That's all that really needs to be said. Oh that and the fact that every family has a, um, "different" person or two (or ten) in it.

I'm going to finish with a bunch of pictures from the weekend. Even though it got crazy and some members of my family are extremely different from me, it was still fun catching up.

My oldest niece Cami (I was 7 when she was born and she now has six kids of her own!) and Makenna at my brother's house.

My great-niece Ruby and niece Rylee. Imagine what a real photographer like Michelle could do with Ruby -- check out her eyes (both her mom and dad have dark brown eyes.)

Lots of fun time with Natalie who is moving from Hawaii to Washington in about six weeks. I know they can wait but I can't!!!



My sister Jenilee, my brother Allan and my sister Katie.

My niece Amanda


My first visit to In-n-Out. We sat outside because it was super crazy inside. That's my bro-in-law Matt with me. The burgers were great but you know what? Dick's Drive-in burgers are a tiny bit better, I think (just don't order their greasy fries when you go.)


Many years ago, my mom took three old photos of my dad as a little boy and had them framed. This is one of them.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Jeanelle,
What a month you have had! I hope you are feeling comfort and peace. You are loved...

Sheryl said...

Thanks for sharing so many pix. I'm glad your back and ok. Love ya!