Let's get the bad out of the way...
My sister and I struggled with what to get my mom (because she truly wants for nothing) when Jaylene had a brilliant idea to get planter boxes for Mom's deck. The plan was to have my bro-in-law install them while Mom was at church. Perfect! She's been wanting them for ages - she'll be thrilled. I went over to Mom's first thing to make dessert and prep for dinner and she told me when my other siblings would be stopping by to wish her a happy day (I have a weird family that doesn't enjoy being together.) Mom then mentions how excited she is to get the gift from one brother because he was making her planter boxes for her deck.
I KNOW!
So my sister calls and she tells her and everyone cries. Mom feels horrible, sister is mad and sad that her perfect plan is ruined. Mom has also been weepy all morning anyway because she's missing her own mom who died several years ago. So HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Sigh.
Well, my brother comes over and brings her the HOOKS that he welded himself for her own potted plants to hang off the deck. He also brought her this funny bird statue thing. So now our present works and everyone is happy. All is right with the world.
And now the good...
I walk into Sacrament meeting and my friend Kim's daughter Jamie invites me to come and sit by them so I do. Chrissy, Kim's youngest daughter, is giving a talk so Jamie & I spend most of the time making faces and smiling at Chrissy from the back of the chapel. Her time finally comes and she talks about how the Personal Progress program helps YW to become better women and mothers (among other things.) All is going well when she starts talking about how even though some people haven't given birth themselves, they're still mothers. I catch my breath a little. Then she starts talking about me. Basically, I hear my name, start to cry and pretty much block out all of the wonderful things Chrissy says about me. It was such a sweet and thoughtful thing for her to recognize me like that and just another of those sweet moments in my life that I need to remember (so that's why I'm writing it down.) I'm so, so grateful to have such a special bond with each one of Kim's four daughters and I am especially thankful that she shares them so freely with me! I love you Kara, Callie, Jamie & Chrissy! xoxo
And now the best...
I have an amazing mother. Truly. I think often how blessed I am to have been placed in her care and wonder what I did to deserve her. My mom is fun, smart, talented and the most amazing worker ever. Give her a job and she just goes -- it's a wonder to see! My mom was the mom everyone loved to hang out with when I was in high school. She has the kind of home where anyone can just show up, walk in, open the fridge and sit down at the table for a chat. I love the relationship we have now. My mom is truly my favorite friend and I love that we can just crack each other up over the stupidest things. Every year at this time she fills my deck full of pots of flowers and it just makes me smile every time I come and go. I love my mom.
I'm ending this post with a great quote by Elder M. Russell Ballard and he's speaking to women:
“The kingdom of God will roll forward until it fills the entire earth. It is for you to be beacons and banners to the entire world, to show the women and the men of the world there is such a natural disposition in women to do good, and to seek after the things of the Spirit. I simply say to you, God bless the women of the Church.”
5 comments:
We all LOVE you Jeanellie! Thanks for all you do for all of us! You are a servin' machine! I love your mom too...I agree, she's quite awesome! I'm glad the gift thing all worked out! phew! xoxo
I love you too! You're the best! -kara
Could you have a better attitude??! Thanks for all the effort you've put into loving where you are at. You are a blessing.
Looks like I'm in competetion with mom for the BFF title!
I finally found time to catch up on your blog! You're the greatest! I had a talk on Mother's Day as well, and you bet your life you were in it! I talked about the time I came to mutual or something like that and I was mad at my mom for making me clean my room and you told me that she was right and I was wrong and while I hated that advice at the time, I know you will always tell me the truth and that is an invaluable thing and it made a difference and that is what moms do! I made the salsa and cream cheese dip this week for my roommates. They LOVED it! You are the best.
Post a Comment