Friday, April 4, 2008

Happy Conference Eve & a Friday recipe

I'm always really excited for General Conference. I love getting to hear from our prophet and other church leaders. I love that it's almost like a weekend off from responsibility because nobody should be calling (or texting!) me to tell me they need a sub for Primary. I love getting to watch at home while either taking notes or mounting stamp sets or some other quiet project (I've gotta multi-tastk.) I love my mom's Danish Pastry that she nearly always makes at some point during the weekend. I love that I always get something new to think about, to work on, to confirm my testimony. I love getting to hear the choir and to see the beautiful flowers in the conference center. Yes, I'm sometimes exhausted by Sunday afternoon but I really wouldn't have it any other way.

I had dinner out on Weds night (no, not at CPK) with my friend B. who was here visiting from Chicago and a couple of other guys from work. It was me and three men -- all former military guys. It was interesting but also wonderful and fun. When we were leaving the restaurant, one guy said he noticed my tire was low so we went to check it out and it was completely flat! He walked with me over to WalMart and got a can of that air stuff to fix it well enough so I could drive it home. While he was filling the tire, he said "I'm no expert but that screw coming out of the top of your tire could be the cause of the flat." Funny, funny guy. Les Schwab fixed it the next day. All is well with the world.

I saw my former Beehive adviser at an elementary school play last night. I probably haven't seen her in, gosh, 20 years? I almost cried! I loved her so much and of course, still do. It was just the greatest thing and such a reminder of the influence we have on the lives of the people we serve. What a responsibility...except, really, I remember nothing that she taught me except that she loved me. Another reminder...all you have to do is love the people you serve. Well, and show up. That's always a bonus.

Here's my mom's Danish Pastry recipe. It really is kind of a funny little/not pretty treat but it's a family favorite. I'll try to get a picture of it before we dig in this weekend.

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tab water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix crust ingredients with a spoon or your hands. Press into bottom of 9x13 pan, dipping your fingers in flour or a spoon heated in hot water if necessary. Bake 20 minutes and remove from oven.

When crust is baking, mix the following:

Filling:
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup flour
3 eggs

In a medium saucepan, add water, butter, vanilla and almond extracts. Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour, beating well and quickly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well (work fast so the eggs don't cook!) Spread mixture on the crust and return to oven. Bake 30 minutes.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tab milk (more, if necessary)

Beat together and when it's pour-able, drizzle over pastry when it's out of the oven.

No comments: